Saturday, July 28, 2007

Gary and John Story

Chapter One.

If I thought I'd given Garry a shock when I told him that we were to leave Dover, I had an even bigger one given to me a couple of weeks later when I got to work one morning. Garry and I had spent the weekend camping near Exeter, trying to find somewhere to live. We'd come up with a couple of places that were worth a second look, and had more or less agreed to go down again the following weekend, stay in a hotel this time and check them out.

On Monday, I was called into the boss's office. There was a cup of coffee waiting for me on his desk, which told me firstly that I wasn't in trouble, and secondly that whatever he had to tell me was important. He wasn't the sort of man to beat about the bush very much and started off by telling me that he had had second thoughts about the job in Exeter. My heart sank at this disastrous news not least because I knew how badly Garry would take it, but before I could say anything, he hurried on.

"There's a vacancy arisen in our office in Cairo. That's Cairo, Egypt," he smiled. "The guy who was the Deputy Manager there has left, and I need a replacement urgently and I'd like you to go out there." He went on to explain that I could still have the job in Exeter if I wanted, that offer hadn't been withdrawn, but he thought I would like to see a bit of the world. When I reminded him of Garry, he nodded and said that he'd forgotten about him, but that shouldn't be a problem as the company owned a flat and I was welcome to use it, with or without family, he grinned.

The only immediate difficulty was that he needed an answer as soon as possible, preferably today. After giving the matter some thought, I told him that I would like the job very much, but I had to check it out with Garry first.

Having agreed that I could take the rest of the day off to see Garry and explain things, I sent a text message, asking him to meet me at the school gates at lunchtime. And, remembering how upset he was the last time I gave him a surprise, sent a second one telling him that it was good news and not bad!

When I collected him, he was firstly surprised and secondly, despite my second text, worried. I sat him in the car and pulled away from the school.

"I've been offered another job," I started. "But this one is a bit further away than Exeter."
"Where?" he asked, "And with the same firm?"

"Yes, the same company and the job is in Egypt. Cairo. They want me to go out there as Deputy Manager, as soon as possible."

He thought about it for a moment; I could see he was unsettled and had something on his mind. He sat, biting his lower lip and staring out of the window. It suddenly hit me what was worrying him. I was being stupid again, I'd missed out the most important bit. "You will be coming, of course. If you want to that is. If you don't want to go, the other job is still there." He visibly relaxed and turned to look at me. I think he was about to say something, but changed his mind and instead asked me what I wanted to do.

"I'd like for us both to go to Egypt, I think it'll be good fun. But if you don't want to, then we'll stay here."

He gave me one of his special smiles and unclenched his hands. "Can we go? It'll be fantastic, much better than Exeter anytime."

"But you've never lived in Exeter," I said, grinning.

"No, but Egypt's gotta be better, hasn't it!"

I couldn't argue with that, so I turned the car round and headed back towards school. "Aww, come on, you aren't going to make me go back to school now are you?" he said.

He had a point. I know that I'd have difficulty settling down to do any work under these circumstances, especially if I was Garry's age. I pulled a face at him, and agreed that we could give school a miss for once. Instead we went back to my office where I introduced Garry to the people that worked there before going in to see the boss. He and Garry had met once or twice before, usually at company social functions, but they'd never actually spoken very much. I was impressed by the way Garry carried himself, given that the meeting was so unexpected. Wechatted for a while before I confirmed that I would take the post up if it was still on offer, provided that the accommodation was taken care of, and Garry could accompany me. This was quickly agreed to, and to sort of celebrate I took the rest of the afternoon off to go out with Garry.

I don't think the reality of the rapid change in circumstances really hit us until we walked out of the office onto the street when Garry and I looked at each other in disbelief. "Did we just agree to go to live in Egypt?" I said, looking at my nephew. "Err, yes I think we did." he grinned.

We laughed almost insanely at each other and headed off into town to get something to eat.

Continued.....

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home